The mission of the Union for Reform Judaism includes the mandate to “foster the vibrancy of Reform Judaism through Torah (lifelong Jewish education, avodah (worship of god through prayer and observance) and g’milut chasadim (the pursuit of justice, peace and deeds of loving –kindness). Our mission is to organize Social Action projects for our congregants that serve and empower those who are disadvantaged or in need.
When a Jewish baby is born, there is a traditional prayer that the child will grow into a life that includes Torah (learning), Chuppah (Jewish home), and Ma’asim tovim (good deeds) which may be divided into 3 areas of expression:
At CRJ, our social action committee hopes to welcome you into our congregation to take advantage of expressing your “Ma’asim tovim.” This can be done with other congregants as a group, on your own, or through any of the many volunteer activities with which you may already affiliate. We hope that if you are passionate about an organization, you will choose to share it with us by contacting our chairperson who can add it to our listing of partner agencies.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS FOR 5773
Mitzvah Days - During the Jewish calendar year of 5773, CRJ is dedicating each day as Mitzvah day. We encourage each and every congregant to perform at least one act of Ma’asim Tovim involving either tzedakah, gemilut hasadim or tikkun olam in our congregation, in our Orlando community, in our national community, our world community or in Israel.
School supply drive for Jewish Family Services, A Gift for Teaching and other non-profit agencies which contributes school supplies to needy children in the Greater Orlando area -through their teachers.
High Holy Days Food Drive for Pearlman Food Pantry at Jewish Family Services (they are able to purchase $5.00 worth of food for every $1.00 donated at Second Harvest Food Bank) and Mazon raises money in local communities (Second Harvest Food Bank) and globally as well as to address the systemic causes of poverty and hunger .
Jewish Pavilion Walk
Celebrating Noah - Collection of pet food for agencies that take care of animals that are unable to be cared for by their owners (abused, moving, allergies and economic issues) in the Central Florida area. Purchase pet food, supplies or make monetary donations anytime during this month to our partner agency – Pet Rescue by Judy -- or to your favorite animal shelter.
Thanksgiving Baskets for Jewish Family Services. Contact Donna McGovern at email@example.com if you wish to participate with support Jewish Family Services reach out to the less fortunate at this time of thanksgiving. If you are busy during this holiday season, take time to make a donation to the Social Action Fund. Please purchase gift certificates for area grocery stores such as Publix, Wal-Mart and Target or make a monetary donation to the Social Action fund earmarked Thanksgiving and place in the Social Action box in the CRJ main office.
Sneakers that Fit we join other area synagogues and other individuals in our community to supply new sneakers to needy students identified by the teachers at 5 title one schools (at least 60% of the children are on the free lunch program) in the Central Florida area.
- The 6th night of Chanukah, we join other congregation’s in the Union for Reform Judaism by participating in Ner Shel Tzedakah (“candle of righteousness”). Congregants should devote this night to learn about the problem of poverty and donate the value of the gifts (or the gifts themselves) to organizations that assist the poor.
- Friday, December 25 -- Christmas Day Projects
Hubbard House a group cooks lunch for their guests allowing their staff to have off for the holiday. Hubbard House is a facility where families can stay at a low cost while their family members are hospitalized at Arnold Palmer Hospital, M.D. Anderson Hospital or Orlando Regional Medical Center.
- Meals on Wheels through the Seniors First agency work with a team of volunteers from CRJ, employees from Sonny’s Real Pit BBQ, UPS, and volunteers through the United Way to help prepare and deliver meals to approximately 575 needy senior citizens in Central Florida.
Mending Hearts Charities, Inc. a group cooks lunch for those residing in one of the properties in the downtown Sanford area.
Circle of Service – Annual YES fund raiser for women of Reform Judaism.
JCC annual Mah Jong tournament (January 27th).
Get involved by attending an event that raises funds or awareness specifically for Jewish causes.
Freshen up in February collection of toiletry items to be donated to area non-profit agencies that take care of the children of Central Florida that have been taken out of their homes.
Passover Food Drive for the Pearlman Pantry at Jewish Family Services (Feinstein Challenge) and a donation to MAZON if you could donate what an additional person to your Seder table. You will be fulfilling the ancient Passover tradition of allowing “all who are hungry to enter and eat.”
- Hubbard House a group cooks lunch for their guests allowing their staff to have off for the holiday.
- Mending Hearts Charities, Inc. a group cooks lunch for those residing in one of the properties in the downtown Sanford area.- American Cancer - Society Relay for Life of Altamonte
- Yom Ha’atzma’ut (Israel Independence Day) - A joint effort with our Religious School, we will collect items (camouflage paint, sunscreen etc) for the Israeli soldiers in the IDF (Israeli Defense Force) as well as monetary donations to the Social Action Fund clearly marked Magen David Adom or IDF
- Pizza donation which will be made in memory of David Solomonov (Nephew of Congregants Ava and Michael Maxwell and Cousin of Rebecca and Alex Maxwell killed Yom Kippur 2003)
Have an organization or cause you want to see CRJ get involved in? Contact Dorey at firstname.lastname@example.org
>> Click HERE to submit your mitzvah and help our Etz Chaim (Tree of life) grow!