CONGREGATION OF REFORM JUDAISM - 928 Malone Drive • Orlando, FL 32810 • tel: 407-645-0444 • fax: 407-645-2838
For questions or comments concerning this site, contact Michael Kancher at 407-645-0444 or email@example.com
© 2015 Congregation of Reform Judaism • All Rights Reserved
Website design & maintenance:
Dr. Becky Welch,
Chair - email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The mission of the Union for Reform Judaism includes the mandate to “foster the vibrancy of Reform Judaism through Torah (lifelong Jewish education, avodah (worship of god through prayer and observance) and g’milut chasadim (the pursuit of justice, peace and deeds of loving –kindness). Our mission is to organize Social Action projects for our congregants that serve and empower those who are disadvantaged or in need.
When a Jewish baby is born, there is a traditional prayer that the child will grow into a life that includes Torah (learning), Chuppah (Jewish home), and Ma’asim tovim (good deeds) which may be divided into 3 areas of expression:
• Tzedakah – giving to the poor
• Gemilut Hassadim – acts of loving kindness
• Tikkun olam – repairing the world
(Paraphrased from Living a Jewish Life by Anita Diamant)
At CRJ, our social action committee hopes to welcome you into our congregation to take advantage of expressing your “Ma’asim tovim.” This can be done with other congregants as a group, on your own, or through any of the many volunteer activities with which you may already affiliate. We hope that if you are passionate about an organization, you will choose to share it with us by contacting our chairperson who can add it to our listing of partner agencies.
|CALENDAR OF EVENTS:|
Mitzvah Days - During the Jewish calendar year of 5773, CRJ is dedicating each day as Mitzvah day. We encourage each and every congregant to perform at least one act of Ma’asim Tovim involving either tzedakah, gemilut hasadim or tikkun olam in our congregation, in our Orlando community, in our national community, our world community or in Israel.
The 6th night of Chanukah, we join other congregation’s in the Union for Reform Judaism by participating in Ner Shel Tzedakah (“candle of righteousness”). Congregants should devote this night to learn about the problem of poverty and donate the value of the gifts (or the gifts themselves) to organizations that assist the poor.
Meals on Wheels through the Seniors First agency work with a team of volunteers from CRJ, employees from Sonny’s Real Pit BBQ, UPS, and volunteers through the United Way to help prepare and deliver meals to approximately 575 needy senior citizens in Central Florida.
Mending Hearts Charities, Inc. a group cooks lunch for those residing in one of the properties in the downtown Sanford area.
- Mending Hearts Charities, Inc. a group cooks lunch for those residing in one of the properties in the downtown Sanford area.- American Cancer - Society Relay for Life of Altamonte
- Yom Ha’atzma’ut (Israel Independence Day) - A joint effort with our Religious School, we will collect items (camouflage paint, sunscreen etc) for the Israeli soldiers in the IDF (Israeli Defense Force) as well as monetary donations to the Social Action Fund clearly marked Magen David Adom or IDF
- Pizza donation which will be made in memory of David Solomonov (Nephew of Congregants Ava and Michael Maxwell and Cousin of Rebecca and Alex Maxwell killed
Have an organization or cause you want to see CRJ get involved in?